February 9, 2021
You would think that recording a phone call would be easy nowadays, but it's a little more complicated than we would all like it to be when just recording a personal call on a mobile device. There are many situations where you wish you could record a phone call.
You could be researching or getting complicated instructions from someone and would love to have the information recorded to check it again later. Maybe you have started a podcast, like a lot of us did during the lockdown.
Needing to find a simple way to record calls is especially true for anyone who has to do many telephone interviews. If you were using a software call service, it would be really easy to record within the app you're using, but it gets a little tricky for a phone call on mobile network service or carrier.
The good news is that many different applications can record a conversation you are having on the phone. There is a reason that our mobile phones don't automatically record our calls, though; recording a call without permission is illegal in most countries.
The law on this can differ between states or regions of a country, so make sure to check what the law is in your country and the area you are in. Always remember to let people know the conversation is being recorded if it is required for your job or something where you really need the recording.
If the conversation doesn't have to be recorded, it is always best to ask for permission, even if it isn't against the law where you are. Whatever you choose to do, remember that it's your responsibility to get permission and make sure what you are doing is legal.
Next, we will look at the free options for recording calls before looking at some ways to record phone calls requiring a financial investment.
Recording a Call With an iPhone
Merging a Call With Your Voicemail: 3-Way Calling.
The only way to record a call on an iPhone without downloading an app is to use your own voicemail to record the call. This is possible thanks to the call merging function.
- Step 1: Call yourself. You will go straight to your own voicemail, which is exactly what you want.
- Step 2: While your voice mail tells you that you aren't available to take your own call, touch the "add call" button that will allow you to merge the current call with your voicemail through to the call with the person you need to interview or speak with.
- Step 3: When the person answers, your phone will automatically announce, "this is a merged call". At this point, confirm with the person you are speaking with that they permit you to record the call. You can relax now and have your conversation as you need to.
- Step 4: When you end the call, it will take a few moments, but you will get the voicemail message sent to you. You will now be able to play the recording of your conversation as a voicemail message.
Unfortunately, some mobile network carriers do not provide 3-way calling. You should check if your particular service provider does provide this service before relying on this technique to record a call.
Using a Third-Party App for Recording Calls on an iPhone.
If you are going to use a third-party app to record your calls, you need to check their data usage policy. Some apps will use your data for their own purposes, and if you didn't check what the privacy and data policy was before accepting the app, you can't fight what they choose to do with it.
Many call recording apps also function on 3-way calling, so if you want to make sure that your data is safe, it will be best to use the 3-way calling technique for your iPhone in the paragraph above as you are the only person who will have access to that recording through your own voicemail.
There are many different apps to choose from, so take your time to look through the reviews and policies and then decide on the best one.
Some really great recording service companies let you record all the calls you want for free, but you have to pay if you want transcripts or translations. One company and app that offers this great range of services is Rev.
The fresh-looking app and the recordings are free and unlimited. You can download the free Rev app from the App Store.
- Step 1: Download the Rev app from the App store.
- Step 2: Open the app to make your call by selecting use contacts.
- Step 3: Tap the button start call. Rev will automatically record any calls you make through the app.
- Step 4: Access the recordings you want in the app and share them with your contacts as you like.
- Step 5: Check the app's settings to make sure that incoming calls will be recorded too, if that is what you want.
Recording a Call With an Android Phone
Calling yourself using 3-way calling doesn't apply the same way with Android phones as it does with iPhones. If you try to do this on an Android phone, the original call to your voicemail will just end up being put on hold. You will have to use a third-party application to record a call on your Android phone.
Using Google Voice to Record a Call
The good news is that Google Voice is a convenient option for this. Provided to Google account holders, Google Voice provides voice, text messaging, call forwarding, and voicemail services.
Some countries may not have access to this service yet, so you will have to check if it is available in your region. If you have access to Google Voice, you will need to create a Google Voice number paired with your Google account and make use of this service through an app on your Android device.
Use this number when you need to record a conversation on your phone. A limitation to keep in mind with this option is that Google Voice only allows you to record incoming calls. That means any calls you make or outgoing calls will not be recorded.
- Step 1: To make use of this, install the Google Voice app on your phone and open it.
- Step 2: Open the hamburger menu to access settings and turn on the toggle for Incoming call options. Please note that everyone must be on the call for recording to work.
- Step3: Once everyone is on the call, tap the number 4 on your phone. Everyone on the call will hear a warning that the call is being recorded.
- Step 4: Tap 4 again, and the recording will end. There will be another warning letting everyone on the call know the recording has ended.
To play your recordings, you will access them through the call logs in the Google Voice app.
Recording a Call on Android or iPhone Using Another Device
If trying out all these apps, tips and tricks sound way too complicated; there is always the option to record your phone call with another device.
Recording a Call With a Second Phone
You may even have another phone that you can use to record the call with the voice note recording app built-in. Unfortunately, these apps do not continue recording once a phone call is started on the same phone.
This means you cannot use a voice recording app to record a call made on the same phone as the app. If you have two phones available, the phone with the call can be placed on speaker, and the second phone can record the conversation using the voice recorder app.
Android phones and iPhones all have voice recorders; the only difference is the name of the iPhone app is Voice Memos.
- Step 1: Take the call and put the phone on speaker.
- Step 2: Open the voice recording app on the second phone and tap 'record'.
- Step 3: Place the phone that is recording next to the phone with the call.
- Step 4: Make sure you are close enough to both phones to be heard clearly.
- Step 5: Access the recording through the recording app on the second phone. You should also be able to share the recording through email or other apps.
Recording a Call With a Bluetooth Recorder
Many recording devices need a range of cables and adaptors to ensure both the audio from the call and your voice are recorded. To keep it simple and cableless, a recorder like the PR200 will wirelessly record phone calls. It has 4GB of internal memory, so it will record and store a very large amount of data, which could mean around 140 or more recorded phone calls.
- Step 1: Link the device to your phone using the Bluetooth functionality.
- Step 2: Make sure the physical toggle on the recording device is set to 'mobile'.
- Step 3: Use the PR200 recording device in place of your phone. There is a button on the center of the device to answer or ignore calls. Use that to start and end the call and hold the PR200 just as you would your phone.
- Step 4: To access your recordings, use the USB point at the bottom of the PR200 to plug into a PC or laptop and access the recordings, or simply playback the recordings on the PR200 to listen to them.
Recording Phone Calls as a Business
If you need to record a lot more than just the odd call, you may need to consider a more comprehensive service. Recording all calls related to your business may be very important for customer service or sales teams, so if you need to record a very large number of calls on a daily basis, try browsing larger companies that offer recording and call center-related services.
Different companies like Rev, which was mentioned previously, can be used to provide this service. Shop around for the one that you think will provide for your unique needs in the best way possible. A few examples of companies to choose from are below, along with brief descriptions of what they have to offer.
This company provides something called cloud call recording software. It would be used for a business that needs to record all calls for legal compliance, quality assurance, and new staff training. This is also known as cloud-hosted call recording or VoIP phone recordings.
There is an easily accessible software platform that Avoxi will provide for the business owner or managers to access the recordings. Every call will be recorded automatically, and a warning that all calls are recorded will be provided automatically on every call.
Avoxi also offers integrations with other business-related platforms like Shopify and Zendesk. Because of the integrations that Avoxi offers, it could be possible to make calls through software services that can also be recorded.
This does not exclude network-provided call services, though Avoxi integrates with network providers and call service carriers. The installation process would differ between the facilities each company has, so it would be important to consult Avoxi about how you could benefit from their services and which paid plan would suit your needs.
This company is also a cloud-hosted call recording service that works across every device. It offers the option of only making calls on demand and the default choice of recording all calls. Again, consulting with the company to see what service plan best matches your business needs is important before deciding if it is the right call-recording service for you.